Here's our list of what's changing from version to version! We're including the release notes for what'll be in the next version too, so you can see what we've fixed and what we're working on. We try to submit Google, Apple and Amazon versions at about the same time, but it sometimes takes one of them a bit longer to approve and make live.
If you'd like to help test any upcoming version - please get in touch with a message. We're always pleased to have people on board helping to check new releases, and you certainly don't have to be a high-tech person to help!
Version 2.23 ( May 2018 )
- Added TapResearch back with surveys for additional stamps
- Improvement to the built-in support system and FAQs
- Fixed medal display on title screen (didn't always update to the right medal!)
- Many performance tweaks and minor fixes
Version 2.22 (April 2018)
- Update to switch to new In-App support system ( "FreshChat" )
- New medal animations after you complete a game - makes it easier to see which puzzle you just completed and how many you have left to do!
- Tech updates for improved surveys available for more users
- Added extra puzzle servers around the world, so if the game can't reach one of them, it will try the next! This should help to make sure you can always collect the daily puzzles (as long as you have an internet connection!)
Version 2.20 minor updates .001 .007 ( January 2018 )
- Improved video availability
- Videos available in more countries, and limit on videos per day increased
- Improved animation smoothness (especially while scrolling or dragging)
- Various stability fixes and improvements
- Stamps button now glows to show that there are daily tokens to collect, button made easier to tap
- New welcome page simplified for new users for an easier introduction to the game
- Many stability fixes and minor tweaks
Version 2.20 (December 2017)
- Update adds two more daily puzzle - four daily puzzles to play each day!
- Easier title screen layout with bigger buttons to make it easier to select the puzzle you want, tabs to check back on any previous days.
- "The Plus" - a new subscriber-exclusive puzzle with its own high score chart.
- New extra daily and weekly stamps to collect - just tap on them on the Earn Stamps page!
- Puzzle streams are renamed (simply) to Free Puzzles
- Feature added to show when there's an update available (green for small updates, amber for feature updates and red for urgent!)
Version 2.19.7 (Nov 2017)
- New Survey Provider added - TheoremReach
- Improved the in-game keyboard - should react a little faster
- Improved graphics engine means more efficient drawing and updating, so lower battery requirements
- Added in new Video suppliers, which should mean more availability of videos to earn stamps in advance!
Version 2.19.1 (Oct 2017)
- Improved iPhone X support (makes use of the extra space to show time etc.) - Menu bar moved to the top on this layout.
- Increased payouts on Pollfish surveys for all players
Version 2.19 (Sept 2017)
- Initial iPhone X support
- Fix for crash involving cursor/letter movement
- Improved graphics system for lower filesize and faster app-startup
- TapResearch surveys temporarily disabled on iOS
Version 2.18 (June 2017)
- Puzzles Plus Subscription added!
- Subscriptions allow full access to daily, weekender and stream puzzles without ads or requiring tokens!
- Subscribers get to choose a badge for submitting to high score chart
- Previous purchasers of the ad-free option are automatically upgraded to have all the Puzzles Plus features.
- Game now keeps screen active while playing in a puzzle, but allows the screen to time-out if anywhere else in the app (including on the 'paused' screen)
- New option added
Version 2.17.7 (May 2017)
- Improvement to the way the game connects to the Astraware Puzzle server to get the new daily and weekender puzzles. Should now be much less likely to be unavailable, so you don't have to wait to get your puzzles!
- Android version improvements to advertising system - ads will now take less storage and will get automatically cleared after a while to avoid the storage size of the app building up.
Version 2.17.4 (April 2017)
- iOS and Android versions : Update to advertising system should mean that the adverts in the game are more appropriate to our audience!
- Improvement to graphics system; game will be a bit snappier but also will reduce the battery impact when playing for extended times.
- Fix to the FAQ system which was causing a crash.
- Added more free stamps for all users with a new 'upgrade bonus' which you can collect every time we make an app update. It's our way of saying thank-you for keeping up to date, and downloading the latest version!
Version 2.17 (April 2017)
- Extra stamps for all players! Existing users get some extra, and new users now start with an initial bonus set of stamps to give them plenty of daily games to play
- Users who play for free now have stamps to use to play the daily puzzles ad-free
- Separated the 'stamps' page from the 'streams' page, though you can get between them!
- Added the ability to go to the Stamps page by tapping the stamps in the top-right corner of the title screen
- Highlights (green/yellow/red) added to the stamps to help you see when you're running low
- Various forms and pages tweaked for a more consistent style
- Option added (in the options page) to switch off the stamp usage for daily games - for players who just prefer to get an ad at the end of each game like in previous versions.
- Additional Puzzle Stream added
- More puzzles added to all the different streams!
Version 2.16.3 (March 2017)
- Fix for a problem where reward stamps (from surveys) could be lost if you quickly exited the streams page.
- Android version can now correctly be moved to SD storage
Version 2.16.1 (February 2017)
- Fix for a bug where stamps could still be deducted for daily games, even if the "ad-free" daily had been purchased.
- Increased the total number of stamps that someone can gain, and surveys can now be completed even if the player has over 1000 stamps available
Version 2.16 (February 2017)
- Increased the maximum award size that can be received from surveys
- Fixed a bug where doing multiple surveys together only rewarded for the first one
- Fixed a problem where tapping the 'back' button at the end of a daily game could cause it to freeze
- Improved how quickly a TapResearch survey will show as available for completion
- Fixed text layouts for various items on the 'streams' page, on some devices some items could wrap onto the next line and overlay other items.
- Fixed/Checked iOS Music playback should be enabled for players who like to keep their music going in the background
- Fix for Amazon Store purchases - the update means that Amazon users can restore prior purchases if needed, and also make new purchases again too.
Version 2.14 (February 10th 2017)
- Two new puzzle streams added so you can choose the style you prefer!
- Even more survey types added via TapResearch, now possible to complete several surveys per day - choose from a range of sizes to earn lots more stamps!
- New pack available to purchase - 2016 calendar pack has a huge selection of Daily and Weekender puzzles from 2016, great value if you didn't get to play them all!
- Fix to the shop page showing two versions of the Deluxe pack
- Fix to a problem where some packs weren't showing up as containing the right number of puzzles
- Fix to a problem with our support/FAQ system which meant players couldn't contact us about any problems (including this one!)
- Reduced the amount of network data used by the game - it now won't load adverts at all if you have stamps in advance!
- Fixed a problem that would mean you couldn't play any stream games at all if you have over 1000 stamps. (We didn't expect anyone to hoard them, we were surprised!)
- New icons for some of our streams
Version 2.11.00 (January 2017)
- New option available to take surveys from PollFish to earn stamps! These take a few minutes to complete, but give a really good reward - often just one of the larger surveys can give you enough stamps for a week's worth of daily puzzles. We're hoping to add more suppliers of surveys over time, to increase the chance that there's one available for you.
- Fix to a problem that left some users without videos they could watch (until coming back the next day!)
Version 2.10.00 (December 2016)
- New Free Puzzle Streams added - never (hopefully!) run out of free puzzles!
- Watch videos in advance, get puzzle tokens (stamps) to play the puzzles you choose, when you choose!
- Stamps can now be used for daily puzzles so you can avoid the ads at the end of those puzzles too!
- Fixes to some issues that customers with devices running iOS 8 and 9 were experiencing
- Lots of new puzzles added to packs (replacing ones where we weren't happy with particular words!)
Version 2.09 (November 2016)
- Minor update to maintain support for latest OS versions in all cases
Version 2.08 (October 2016)
- Changed the starter puzzles (and some of the other packs too) to reduce the overlap of words - some words were coming up in puzzles a bit too often!
- Added new purchasable puzzle packs in each of the categories, and even more of the popular tough puzzle packs
- Built in customer-support system updated to 'Hotline' which means an even better help and FAQ system!
- Fixed display problems on a couple of resolutions
- Improved visual tweaks (smoother particle effects!)
- Adjusted the font size in some of the boxes to make better/clearer use of screen as appropriate
Version 2.08 (October 2016)
- Switched to a new built-in support system (Hotline)
- New puzzle packs
- Improved the existing puzzle packs (replacing puzzles which had words that were used too often)
- Improved particle effects
- Better support for new devices and resolutions!
Version 2.06 (May 2016)
- Extra free puzzles added to the built-in 'Anytime' selection - up from the miserly initial 10 puzzles to a much more generous 50 puzzles!
- Improvement to puzzle and state saving, so the game will be much more reliable for people leaving partway through games!
- Significant improvement to power (battery) usage while playing the game (animation speed now is dropped when there's nothing to animate!)
- High score chart now includes text to show the absolute position (rank) of the submitted time, after requests from some people who missed it!
- Increased the initial period of play of daily puzzles for which there are no ads shown - now includes a message before showing ads to explain why.
- Fixed the Easy / Medium / Hard rings on the puzzle chooser screen to be in the correct order again of Green, Yellow and Red.
- Game will now 'expire' away old messages a month after they are received, which will help to keep them relevant.
- Game rating request (if you choose to do so) now correctly takes you to the right page!
- Added 2014 and 2015 Calendar Packs for extra value
- Our new puzzle storage system makes the game faster to reload and far more reliable.
- Second daily puzzles are now a bit trickier than before. Expect to have your vocabulary and knowledge stretched a bit more!
- Game now asks (non-intrusively!) you if you'd consider rating the game on the App store. Good ratings really help us out - but conversely if you're not happy about something, it helps us if you get in touch so we can fix/improve it!
- We have worked through lots of our puzzle words, and removed some that we think aren't fair, or have spelling that isn't global. We've replaced lots of puzzles in the packs with new ones - that means you'll likely see new puzzles available in packs that you've previously completed.
- Lots and lots of bugfixes including -
- Game now tidies up old daily puzzles once they're no longer visible. Over time, these were building up for regular players and while quite small individually would have eventually started to slow the game start down. Should be much perkier now!
- CodeWords now checks back with our server and attempts to reinstall previous purchases if you've deleted and reinstalled the game. This should also work from Apple/Google/Amazon too - but sometimes these aren't so fast to respond as our servers. If you've changed to a new device though, you'll have to go into the store screen to get it to restore from them.
- Found and fixed a problem that would cause progress within a puzzle to be lost if you exited out from one that wasn't completed.
Version 2.02 (April 2016)
- Added 2013 Calendar Pack of puzzles available
- Added total player count to the statistics page
- Fix to resolution support for Galaxy Tab S2, more coming soon!
- Migration available for NOOK owners to Google Play version (our server will restore your purchases!)
- Improved handling of exiting and returning to game
- More stats added to the score page
- Fix to glowing messages icon
- Changed advert provider to require fewer permissions and provide better ads
- Improved handling of exiting and returning to game
- More stats added to the score page (total players)
- Ability to Reset puzzle packs so that you can play them again. Tap and hold on the 'completed' pack in the chooser screen to get the option to clear it ready for play again.
Version 2.00 (February 2016)
- Major update for 2016!
- Change of visual style & layout to Title Screen
- New 'Daily' selector on title screen to allow you to pick any daily puzzle from the last week
- Additional 2nd puzzle available every day, on a slightly smaller grid for an extra challenge.
- Anytime puzzles get their own update and chooser - now you can select which pack you want to play from, and it's easier to see which you've purchased and available to play, and which packs are available to buy.
- Support for many new devices, phones and tablets.
- Removed distracting banner ads from displaying during daily games (some of which used to frustratingly overlap the top row game screen on some devices); Replaced with a single advert after you've played the daily game and submitted your time.
- New high score statistics and display page for each game - see how you've done compared to everyone.
- The in-game menu bar has moved to the top, out of the way.
- The 'hint' now shows for longer and doesn't move, making it easier to see and read.
- The option for auto-fill / manual fill is still available, but we've moved it out of the way - look for it on the 'about' screen now.
- New options added for hiding the in-game clock and turning off the particle (confetti) effects
- Many small fixes to improve stability and reduce power usage while playing.
- New device and resolution support
- New pack/puzzle type chooser - more flexibility, plus you can see what you've bought already!
- Added our new FreshDesk based support system - browse the FAQ for the game, and contact us directly for support from within the game itself - no more having to rely on email!
- We've also updated the puzzles too - we've widened the selection of words that make up the CodeWords themselves, so you'll see more varied words!
- Initial game release and updates
- Added daily puzzles to play for free
- Added many puzzle packs available for purchase